The power of habits


 



The power of habits

Ultimately, it’s your habits that define who you are.

1)  The truth: It is difficult to develop good habits.

My parents cared for and pampered me for 17 years until my higher secondary studies. Under my parent’s support and the guidance of teachers, I was doing well in life and studies. I was even awarded “The Best Student of The Year” in school. Life took over a turn I had to move to the hostel for my college studies. As a child, little was I prepared for this change. Little did I realize the importance of cultivating good habits. I initially stumbled and struggled a lot. I knew what I’m supposed to do to excel. But I couldn’t be consistently doing it.

For example, at home, I pray every day and read the Bible. After moving to college, I started to miss doing these daily tasks.

Then I created my proper schedule, a miracle worker that listed all my everyday tasks. It reminded me of every single thing I should do each day, to be most productive. I took little steps to do everything in my schedule. This had a magical impact on my life and molded me into a better person. 

 

2)  Small drops make a mighty ocean

Creating a proper schedule is only the first step. Following it and making things happen is very difficult. But one who succeeds in making it a habit will succeed in life too. Several distractions will come our way, but we must have the willpower to be consistent in the things we do. Our everyday effort will pay off one day. So be focused and go for it,

For instance, I wanted to improve my English and learn new vocabulary. If I learn 50 words one day and never did it again, it is futile. So, in my schedule, I allotted time to learn 5 words a day. Even if all hell break loose, I was determined to learn 5 words every single day.

Again, the miracle happened. Within a month I learned 5*30=150 words. Can you guess how many words I learn in a year now? What a change!!

Habits start as weak threads until it becomes a strong chain that cannot be broken. -Shiv Khera.

 

3)  Keep yourself motivated.

Always have a reason to follow your schedule. Have some short-term goals. As you achieve them never forget to appreciate yourself. Then aim for better results. Make sure your goal is not to excel over someone. Instead, compete with yourself to evolve into a better person.

 

        4) Just today!

One reason we all give for not following our schedule is 'Just today' I will not do this. With that mindset, you can never excel. So don't tell excuses and just do it. You will see the results coming in your favor.

 

Comments

Popular Posts